Thursday, 6 September 2012

Day 6

Gretna to Stewarton today. Over the last 5 days I've developed a healthy scepticism about Gareth's routes. He sees avoiding busy A roads, I see unnecessary additional hills. This morning I made a joint decision to ignore the 92 mile route in favour of following the A road the whole way as they are generally less steep (easier on the knees) and quite a bit more direct (took off 5miles in this case)

The proprietor at Alexander House where we stayed in Gretna showed us a lovely restaurant last night (where I wish we'd stayed) and on returning announced that they wouldn't be getting up early to make our breakfast so we'd have to wait until nearly 8 before we could eat which meant a rather late set off time this morning.

Rather late and really really chilly! Arm and leg warmers on as well as windproofs and wooly socks! iPods plugged in and off we went, Gareth listening to the radio before he lost signal and I to an audiobook. Think we had reached the point when we were too tired to continuously try and strike up conversation. Saying that, verse 6 of the LEJOG song didn't come easily to us today, it was too tempting to include swear words to describe the day!!

After a quick supermarket restock at Morrisons in Dumfries where Gareth bought enough food to keep us going for three weeks ( I'm not convinced he thought about how we were going to carry all of it!) we set off up and down the Scottish hilly lowlands...

Lunch saw us stopping at the 'Happy Potter' cafe (do you see what they did there?) before continuing.

Today wasn't particularly tough, or long but mentally it was hard going. My knee is officially knackered, it has hurt constantly for 4days now and is at the point where I can hardly walk on it but I will keep taking each mile as it comes for now. Our average speed has dropped due to my slowness up hills with not being able to put pressure on the knee but I remain sure that I'll get through it. Gareth is suffering with sore hands and knees too but he is more of a soldier than I and never moans!

We got our second puncture of the trip today, at the highest point between Cumnock and Kilmarnock, very open to the elements, when we set off 20minutes after we were soaked and very cold. It rained pretty much all day today and we had a very strong head wind but the views were amazing at times. Simply stunning.

In addition to the rain, wind and beautiful scenery I can tell we're in Scotland, the midges are out in force and have all had a go at me. We also managed a haggis, neeps and tatties supper whilst watching team GB win medal after medal at the Paralympics at a lovely pub/ b&b in Stewarton.

Finding it increasingly difficult to write this blog as time goes by. Most evenings I'm struggling to keep my eyes open and to remember what we've done, let alone stay positive, or even interesting! I hope you're enjoying the entries. I love reading the comments during our cake/lunch breaks!

More tomorrow from Crianlarich! Night peeps!

Food Diary

Scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, sausages, black pudding, toast, egg sandwich, 4 pork pies, a bag of cookies, Babybels, mini salami, ham salad baguette, cheese baguette, coleslaw, biscuits, sweets, cheese sticks, ginsters pasty, haggis, neeps, tatties, veg and dry roasted peanuts, banana, fridge raiders

15 comments:

  1. Thanks Debbie for the blog,stay strong and positive as we all know you can do this.Also for the photos.Looked at the map today and could not beleive just how far you both have come.I am sure you are keeping each others spirits high,.We are looking forward to supporting you on Sunday and Monday.Take care and have a good nights sleep.XX M&D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Debbie wot u both are doing is mind boggling,it is tough especially since ur sore but just think another four days and a achievement you will be proud of for the rest of your life's,when I done the west highland way I to had a sore knee and lagged behind but determination out me to the end and so will you and Gareth,I love to read your blog and comments on f.b . Keep them up.nite.luv aunty fiona.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep going debs and Gareth, I know you are going to make it. Sorry the weather isn't being kind to you, I hope it's drier tomorrow. Love aimee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going debs and Gareth, I know you are going to make it. Sorry the weather isn't being kind to you, I hope it's drier tomorrow. Love aimee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep going debs and Gareth, I know you are going to make it. Sorry the weather isn't being kind to you, I hope it's drier tomorrow. Love aimee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grr bloody technology! Looking forward to tomorrows report. Aimee x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done for making it through a tough day. Keep your chins up, knees strapped eats lots of yummy food & it will all be worth it. When it's over you can be so proud & think of the stories you can tell your Grand children. Can't wait to hear the song, I've heard the proclaimers want to release it for you!! Try eating garlic it might keep the midges away, & any other "CREATURES" away

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry having probs with this tonight. Above post was us!! Take care we wait ever nigt to read the blog. Hope tomorrow is a better day. Chris & Andy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving reading the blog and so impressed with the stamina,so glad to see that someone else eats fridge raiders although they don't put enough in a packet! the ferret has been quiet without Gareth bo records broken! Crianlarich sounds familiar is that where the green welly shop is? We always used to stop there on the way to Ft William.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ....Oh and you need to eat Marmite to keep the midges away!...can't remember why!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi , just thought I was eaten alive by these wee midges and got Avon skin so soft in a shop around loch lomand it really does the job!, just a piece of useless info haha,enjoy the scenary its beautiful and if get change go in to the green well ie shop ,ismart get trinkets from there still,eat eat eat eat all the forbidden food! Safe journey today.x a.fiona.xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bernie,
    looking at your saddlebags can't see much impressions of the office sweets, buts of luck to both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep up the good work guys; you’re both doing a fantastic job for a great cause. It makes me want to get on a bike and join you, it would need an engine though!!! Words of wisdom; next time you set of on a venture like this do it on a tandem bike, that way you can sit back and enjoy the country side whilst Gareth does the hard work. Remember each mile is one closer to your goal, as said in all the great comedy films YOU CAN DO IT!!! Paul V

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done guys you're doing great! Loving the food diary. Hopefully see you over the weekend.
    Ross, Sam & Isla x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an outstanding achievement ,your determination will help carry you both to the top of the world,a quote I remember from somewhere.Debbie I must thank you for providing a distraction for the midges,a sacrifice I know but a welcome relief for my arms and head which are their normal feasting spot.Looking forward to meeting up on Sunday,I will fill the boot up with food in case Gareth is hungry.Overwhelmingly Proud of you both.Ivor.

    ReplyDelete